Saturday, January 29, 2011

The good Old West Side

   I used to live in...an unsavory part of the city. Within a months of living there my street was blocked of by cops twice. I could write a novel about all the events that took place in that neighborhood.  But for now, I will relive a couple for you.
   One night, or early morning around 4am, I was woken up by voices and blue lights outside.  Naturally curious, and slightly annoyed, I got up and pulled back the curtain of my third floor bedroom window, alongside my boyfriend at the time. We saw 5 police cruisers on the street, so at least 5 cops, 2 barking police dogs, and a sketchy looking white man near an SUV directly across the street from us. He was obviously the reason for all this racket. It appeared as though we was trying to steal the car, from where he was positioned. It looked like a mini stand off, even a little exciting and well worth the lack of sleep. There were words exchanged from the officers and the man. The man was arrested and all the police left, leaving the SUV and a semi-quiet street once again.
   A few hours later, somewhere close to 8am, I happened to be looking out the window.  The SUV was still sitting there and the man that had been arrested hours earlier came by. He quickly opened the door, got it, took something out, closed the door.  Then he walked away like nothing happened.
   So, the moral of the story is, hide your illegal substances well?  I couldn't tell what he had in his hand, but it was either drugs or something stolen. I am leaning toward drugs due to the presence of barking dogs, which did NOT find the drugs.  And what was the purpose of 5cop cars? really?  This city wastes money on the police. There are cops on horses that walk around and do nothing. NOTHING. But anyway, this is not the point of the story.  This man got away with something, somehow, and just happened to see the second part of it.

   Here's a WTF? moment from west side memory lane.  My windows faced the street and alot of activity happened here, maybe because it was a dead end, maybe because they were a low class people, I don't know.  So, I was looking out the window because I heard shouting.  It was a male and female couple. They were arguing in the street. It appeared as though she was trying to get in the car and go somewhere, and he was not ok with that. He was doing most the yelling.  (Let me say that there are many times I wanted to ignore all the yelling and stupidity, just shut the window and go about my business.  This time I felt as though I was a witness, in case something happened. I really felt this lady was in some danger.)  She may have been trying to get the keys from him because she went towards him. There was some shoving and words. She may have gotten the keys because she then went toward the drivers side door and opened it. The angry man was right there and put is hands on her. He pulled her hair, then out her in a head lock. It looked as though he was punching her.  I wanted so badly to yell out the window, but I didn't want that psycho knowing where I lived.  He had her by the hair, then let go. Her slow moving reaction suggests she was shocked.  He was suddenly changed from rage to joking. He had a smile on his face and did some playful physical banter with her, to which he was mildly responsive. At that point she did get in the car and drive off, as if nothing happened.
   I told my boyfriend what had happened. That I did not call the police because it happened and was over quickly, in such a peculiar way, that it seemed it would only cause trouble. I also mentioned that I wanted to yell at him to break it up, but didn't want the possible repercussions.  He knew how hard it was for mo NOT to yell. Scolding people is what I do.
  Within the week we were outside and that man came by for some reason.  Probably for assistance with something car related, as the boyfriend was good at that stuff.  He was also good at bringing up serious things in a jocular manner. With a smile and a laugh, he brought up the scene, something to the effect of, "So, what's up with you and your wife? If looked like you were fighting the other day". The man's response was also with a laugh and smile. "Oh no, we were just playing".  Then I said, not joking so much, "really, it looked like you were hitting her".  And to that he stuck with his story of just messing around.  Who really knows I guess.  They seemed to like each other; maybe they were just playing. It did not look like it.  Whether they were fighting, or just playing, they should not do it in the middle of the god damn street. They were asking for interference by publicly being so physical.  And to that thought, no one did ANYTHING to see if this woman was alright, or stop her from being beaten by her husband in broad day light!  God Bless the West Side.

No comments:

Post a Comment